How to Pass the NYC Salvage Inspection

by Rob Kemmett

New York state law requires that all salvaged vehicles (vehicles that have titles that have been transferred by insurance companies due to severe damage or theft) pass a state mandated Salvage Vehicle Examination. Unlike an emissions test, which examines the environmental safety of your vehicle, the Salvage Vehicle Examination program is part of New York's Auto Theft Prevention Program and is implemented to prevent stolen cars from being stripped of their parts and rebuilt as new "salvaged" automobiles under false pretenses. Before you register your salvaged vehicle and have it examined, prepare yourself by gathering all necessary documentation and review the process of the examination.

Gather all necessary documentation needed for the exam, including the following original documents: MV-907 Salvage Certificate or proof of ownership, MV-82TON Application for Title, MV-901 Notice of Recorded Lien (only if there is a lien on your vehicle), MV-50 Retail Certificate of Sale (if you purchased your vehicle from an authorized dealer) and FS-6T (proof of sales tax payments). The FS-6T form can be obtained at any local New York City Department of Motor Vehicles office. You also must provide proof of identity, like a New York State driver's license or a state-issued identification card that is either current or less than two years expired, or copies of proof of birth (birth certificate) and six points of proof of name. Corporations must provide a certified copy of their Certificate of Corporation, a New York State title or registration in the same corporate name, a New York State filing receipt with DBA (Doing Business As) or a certificate of good standing, subsisting or foreign bid issued by the New York Department of State. Partnerships must provide their Certificate of Partnership, a DBA filing receipt from the County Clerk or a Statement of Partnership or Joint Ownership (form MV-83T). Forms can be found on the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles website (see References).

Fill out the MV-899 Application for Salvage Vehicle Examination form (see References).

Mail the completed MV-899, along with all other necessary documentation, to the following address: Auto Theft & Salvage, DFI, PO Box 2105, Empire State Plaza, Albany, New York, 12220-0105. Include a check or money order, made out to "Commissioner of Motor Vehicles," for $200. The examination fee is $150 and the title processing fee is $50. Write the year, make and vehicle identification number of the vehicle and your facility number (if applicable) on the check or money order. Once accepted, the fee is not refundable. No third-party or start checks are accepted. If you do not include all necessary documentation and payment, your form, along with any documentation and forms of payment that you included, will be returned to you.

Check the safety of your vehicle and ensure it is safe to drive on the roads. If the DMV investigator determines your vehicle is not safe, the DMV will not examine your vehicle.

Check for stolen parts on your vehicle. New York State law requires the DMV to confiscate a vehicle part if the part is stolen, whether you know the part is stolen or not. If the stolen part is a major piece of your vehicle, such as the engine or transmission, the DMV may confiscate your entire vehicle. If your entire vehicle is stolen, it will be confiscated by the DMV and returned to its rightful owner.

Display all vehicle identification numbers. The National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration mandates that manufacturers of automobiles stamp a VIN on certain parts of their vehicles, such as the engine and carburetor, for proof that the parts are not stolen and are installed on the proper vehicle. If a VIN label is damaged, covered up or missing, the DMV may confiscate the part. If the DMV investigator determines that the part, without a satisfactory VIN label, comes from a valid source, he or she will provide a label for you. You must pay a fee of $25 if the DMV investigator places one or more VIN labels on your vehicle.

Complete all necessary repairs and replacements and install all replacement parts that are needed. You must provide sales receipts for newly purchased parts used for repairs on your salvaged vehicle. If you used parts that were taken from another vehicle, you must provide proof of ownership to the vehicle, which must include the full VIN. The state of New York requires that you install new air bags to replace activated or removed air bags. Used air bags cannot be taken from other vehicles.


  • close According to New York State law, the only legal methods of transporting your salvaged vehicle to the examination location are as follows: tow the vehicle, transport the vehicle on a flatbed truck, obtain a dealer plate or a transportation plate (if you purchased your vehicle from an authorized dealer) or apply for a Temporary Transmit permit from the DMV.

Items you will need

About the Author

Rob Kemmett began writing professionally in 2010 and specializes in writing about food and hospitality. Kemmett has worked in various fine-dining restaurants throughout his career and holds an Associate of Applied Science in Le Cordon Bleu culinary arts from the Cooking and Hospitality Institute of Chicago.

Photo Credits

  • photo_camera Wreck image by Mads Blumensaat from