Filing Abandoned Title on a Motor Vehicle in New Mexico

by Andrew Todd
yellow car, a honda japanese sport car model image by alma_sacra from

If a vehicle has been left on your property for more than 30 days, you can file an Abandoned Vehicle Lien with the New Mexico Division of Motor Vehicles. Once a lien is placed, the car may be removed or sold at auction. If the car does not sell at auction, you cannot place it for sale again until you acquire a title for the abandoned vehicle in your name. Once the title is obtained, you will be responsible for paying the fees assessed for the title, registration and title fee.

Step 1

Check the box on the Affidavit of Resale indicating that the vehicle was not successfully sold at auction.

Step 2

Go to the nearest New Mexico Motor Vehicle Division office to obtain a new title for the abandoned vehicle.

Step 3

Complete the title application provided by the Motor Vehicle Division representative.

Submit the title application, as well as the Affidavit of Resale and NCIC Clearance Statement to the representative and pay the title and registration fees to complete the title registration process. This process must be completed within 30 days of the auction.


  • The Affidavit of Resale is obtained from the Motor Vehicle Division when the lien is filed on the vehicle.
  • To sell the vehicle at auction, you must post at least six handbills or place a newspaper advertisement for the two weeks leading up to the auction, giving the owner the opportunity to claim the vehicle.
  • The NCIC Clearance Statement is a certified statement indicating that the vehicle is not listed as stolen. To obtain a NCIC Clearance Statement, contact your local police department or Sheriff's office.

Items you will need

  • Affidavit of Resale
  • Vehicle VIN
  • NCIC Clearance Statement

More Articles