How to Change the Oil Filter on a Chevrolet S-10by Jeffrey Caldwell
The oil filter on a Chevrolet S-10 pickup is located on the underside of the engine block and filters small particles out of the engine oil. Because of the tight tolerances in modern automotive engines, relatively small particles can cause serious damage to valve train and/or crankshaft bearings if allowed to circulate freely within the oil system. In years past it was advised to change the oil filter with every other oil change; but because oil filters are relatively inexpensive, they are normally replaced at every oil change.
Removing the Oil Filter
Raise the vehicle using an automotive jack, and support it with jack stands placed underneath the front frame.
Locate the oil pan drain bolt on the oil pan on the underside of the engine. Place a waste oil collection pan underneath it.
Unscrew the oil pan bolt using a wrench. (Be aware that oil will begin to drain from the pan as soon as the bolt is removed.) Allow the oil to drain completely.
Locate the oil filter on the underside of the engine block. Place the waste oil collection pan underneath it.
Unscrew the oil filter using a strap wrench. Allow all the oil to drain from the oil filter mount.
Clean the oil filter mounting surface using a rag. Be sure the old gasket is removed completely.
Installing the Oil Filter
Completely coat the rubber gasket on the top of the new oil filter with fresh motor oil, using your finger.
Fill the oil filter with fresh motor oil.
Screw the oil filter onto the oil filter fitting. Hand tighten the filter only.
Screw the oil pan bolt into the oil pan using a wrench.
Lower the vehicle using an automotive jack.
Filling the Engine With Oil
Open the hood.
Locate the oil filler cap on the valve cover.
Remove the oil filler cap by turning it counterclockwise with your hand.
Use a funnel and fill the engine with the appropriate amount of fresh motor oil as specified by Chevrolet.
Reinstall the oil filler cap.
Run the engine and visually inspect for leaks.
- Most auto parts stores will recycle waste motor oil at no charge.
- Always follow the instructions listed in the owner's manual when lifting and lowering any vehicle. Failure to do so could cause injury or death.
- Prolonged exposure to used motor oil can cause skin diseases such as cancer. Wear gloves to protect your skin.
Items you will need
- Automotive jack
- Jack stands
- Waste oil collection pan
- Wrench set
- Strap wrench
- Replacement oil filter
- Motor oil
- "Chilton's Repair Manual: Chevrolet S-10 GMC, S-15 Pick-Ups, 1982-91"; The Nichols/Chilton Editors; 1991
- "Chevrolet and GMC S-10 & S-15 Pick-Ups 1982 thru 1993 (Haynes Repair Manuals)"; John Haynes; 1988
- "Chevrolet S-10 and GMC Sonoma Pick-Ups 1994 thru 2004 (Haynes Repair Manuals)"; John Haynes; 2002
- tools image by CraterValley Photo from Fotolia.com