How to Wire LED Turn Signals on a Harleyby Chris Gilliland
With the motorcycle industry following a general trend moving away from the use of incandescent bulbs, many Harley-Davidson riders are making the switch to LED (Light Emitting Diode) technology to illuminate their bike's taillight and turn signals. Providing low-power efficiency, these solid state lights can last as long as 10,000 hours of continuous operation to make replacing burnt out bulbs a thing of the past. Installation of an LED turn signal on your Sportster, Softail, or Touring motorcycle is fairly simple providing that you have a few small tools and an understanding of basic electrical wiring.
Remove the plastic lens cover from the turn signal module by unscrewing the mounting bolts with a screwdriver. Pull the lens cover off and away from the turn signal and set it aside.
Locate the bolts that secure the inner turn signal assembly to the turn signal housing. Remove the bolts with a screwdriver and set them aside. Remove the light bulb and pull the inner assembly free from the housing.
Connect the LED turn signal cluster to the factory turn signal wiring using electrical tap connectors. Place the first factory wiring lead into one channel of the connector and the first LED signal's wiring lead into the remaining channel. Close the top of the connector and lock into place. Repeat on the second set of wire leads.
Place the wiring into the turn signal housing and replace the inner assembly. Install the LED cluster over the inner housing and align the mounting holes on the cluster with the corresponding holes on the inner housing. Insert and tighten the mounting boltss with a screwdriver to secure the entire assembly to the housing.
Replace the lens covers and secure by tightening the mounting bolts with a screwdriver.
Repeat on any remaining turn signals and test the LED turn signals for proper operation.
- Familiarize yourself with the installation process by reading the manufacturer's installation instructions before beginning to determine if you are capable of completing the task. If you are not confident that you can complete this task, have the turn signals installed by a qualified Harley-Davidson technician.
- Install a load equalizer to slow down the turn-signal flashing rate.
Items you will need
- LED turn signal clusters
- Electrical tap connectors
- * "The Professional Motorcycle Repair Program;" Professional Career Development Institute; 1995
- Jupiterimages/Comstock/Getty Images