How to Reprogram a Remote Into an Existing Avital 4200 Remote Start Systemby Megan Mattingly-Arthur
The Avital 4200 remote start system allows you to start the engine of your vehicle from up to 100 feet away. If you replace the battery in any of system's remotes, you will have to reprogram that remote to your remote start system before it can be used. Luckily, reprogramming a remote for your existing Avital 4200 remote start system is simple and takes less than five minutes.
Insert your key into the vehicle's ignition cylinder and turn it to the "On" position, but do not start the engine.
Locate the "Valet/Programming" switch in your vehicle. Note that the precise location of the switch varies, but can usually be found behind the hood lever release or under the driver's side dashboard panel. Press and release the "Valet/Programming" switch five times to access the vehicle's remote start programming mode.
Press and hold the "Valet/Programming" switch throughout the remainder of the remote programming process.
Press the "*" button on the Avital 4200 remote start remote to program it to your vehicle; the remote will chirp once to indicate successful programming.
Release the "Valet/Programming" switch.
- You can program up to four remotes to your Avital 4200 remote start system.
- If the vehicle emits a long, sustained honk when you are attempting to reprogram the remote, the system has been programmed with a Bitwriter and must be unlocked by a Bitwriter before you can proceed. Contact Directed Electronics customer support for more information.
Items you will need
- Avital 4200 remote start remote
- "Avital 4200 Remote Start Owner's Guide;" Directed Electronics; 2005
- Directed Electronics: Avital 4200 Remote Start Installation Manual
- Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images