How to Replace a Headlight Lensby Kimberly JohnsonUpdated July 19, 2023
A vehicle's headlight lens is the plastic section of the headlight that covers the bulb and reflector. There are many reasons to replace the headlight lens on a vehicle. The most common reasons for replacement are damage and discoloration due to oxidation. Replacing the lens on a headlight is one of the easiest auto repair tasks to do and requires nothing more than a screwdriver. The most important part of replacing a lens is to get the correct size lens for the vehicle.
1. Remove the headlight from the vehicle per the manufacturer's instructions
Remove the headlight from the vehicle per the manufacturer's instructions. In some vehicles, a screwdriver can be used to remove clips located along the edge of the engine compartment. In other vehicles, you must partially detach the bumper to access the headlight.
2. Locate the clips positioned around the perimeter of the lens
Locate the clips positioned around the perimeter of the lens where it connects to the headlight. The clips are constructed of either metal or plastic.
3. Insert a screwdriver through the center of each clip and lift the screwdriver up
Insert a screwdriver through the center of each clip and lift the screwdriver up to detach the clip from the lens. Remove the clips from the top, bottom and both sides of the lens.
4. Grasp either side of the lens with your hands and pull it free from the headlight
Grasp either side of the lens with your hands and pull it free from the headlight. If the black gasket comes off with the lens, remove it from the lens.
5. Push the black gasket securely
Push the black gasket securely against the edge of the headlight opening.
6. Place the new lens onto the headlight
Place the new lens onto the headlight in the same position as the old lens. Hold the lens in place with one hand.
7. Grasp one of the clips in the other hand and place one end of it on the edge of the headlight
Grasp one of the clips in the other hand and place one end of it on the edge of the headlight. Press down on the clip until an audible click is heard.
8. Press down on the other side of the clip
Press down on the other side of the clip which covers the edge of the lens. An audible click is heard when the clip is secure.
9. Reinstall the headlight in the car
Reinstall the headlight in the car per the manufacturer's instructions.
Video: How To Replace Headlight Lens
Helpful comments on this video:
- Yo, unfortunately you are mistaking by cutting it. Just heat it up with the proper heat gun that the temperature can be adjusted at 180-220c to soften the seal. Then remove the old one n u can even use the same seal again for sure or replace the seal to make sure that won’t be any leak at all… I did remove my e39 lenses n put them back on using the same seal without any issue at all. Then I polished them out n they look fantastic. Try on your next project.
- You can just use a heat gun for the adhesive
Things You'll Need
Kimberly Johnson is a freelance writer whose articles have appeared in various online publications including eHow, Suite101 and Examiner. She has a degree in journalism from the University of Georgia and began writing professionally in 2001.