How to Register a Small Trailer in Nebraska

by George Lawrence J.D.

Nebraska's motor vehicles department requires all cars and trailers to be registered with the state in order to be validly driven on public streets and highways in the state. Small trailers, such as small boat trailers or small pop-up campers, are subject to these regulations. Nebraska requires the owner of the small trailer to register the vehicle at the county treasurer's office in the county where the small trailer has "situs." Situs means the county where the small trailer is housed for the majority of time.

Visit the county treasurer's office in the county where the trailer is housed the majority of the time. This may be your home county in Nebraska; it could be the county where you vacation, if you keep your small trailer in that county for the majority of the time.

Present the small trailer documents to the county treasurer's clerk. You must show such documents as your Nebraska driver's license, and the title and insurance forms for your small trailer.

Pay the registration fee. Fees are subject to change; contact the county treasurer's office for current fees (see "Resources" to link to a list of offices and contact information).

About the Author

Based in Traverse City, Mich., George Lawrence has been writing professionally since 2009. His work primarily appears on various websites. An avid outdoorsman, Lawrence holds Bachelor of Arts degrees in both criminal justice and English from Michigan State University, as well as a Juris Doctor from the Thomas M. Cooley Law School, where he graduated with honors.

More Articles

Photo Credits

  • blue trailer image by Diana Mastepanova from Fotolia.com