How to Apply for a Lost Title for a Boat

by Artesia Peluso

You can lose something important from time to time, whether it's your keys or an important document, such as a boat title. Replacing the recreational vehicle title is a fairly simple process. All you need are a few pieces of pertinent information, such as your boat registration.

Visit the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) website for the state where you purchased the boat. Look into the menu and find the "replacing a lost title option," or a similar heading. Click on that option and download an Application for Duplicate Title.

Complete the application and visit your local county tax collector's office. According to the DMV website, if there was a lien on the boat, you'll need to provide proof that the lien has been paid off.

Turn in your application and pay for the replacement. The replacement fee is usually no more than $10, but fees vary state-to-state. Make sure to get a receipt and keep it some place safe until you receive your title. Titles typically take anywhere from eight to 10 weeks to come in the mail. However, some states expedite the service and you may be able to get your title much sooner.

About the Author

Artesia Peluso began her journalism career in 2006. She is the fashion editor at "PINK Magazine" and has also worked as the arts and entertainment assistant at "Creative Loafing," the associate editor at "Vita Underground" and at CNN as a Network Booking Associate. Peluso has a Bachelor of Arts in communications from Ashford University.

More Articles

Photo Credits

  • Thomas Northcut/Photodisc/Getty Images