How to Get a New Vin Plate for a Car

by Jean Asta
itstillruns article image
accident image by ann triling from

The vehicle identification number (VIN) is like a Social Security number for cars. All VINs for cars manufactured since 1981 have 17 digits and they are usually found etched into a metal plate on the engine block, the firewall or the inside of the door frame. If your VIN plate has been destroyed, you can apply to have a new one created for the vehicle as long as you have proof of need for the replacement. If for some reason your VIN on the vehicle and the VIN on your title do not match, you will need to get a new title, not a new VIN.

Step 1

Locate and record your vehicle's VIN. Consult the owner's manual for your vehicle if you do not know where it is located. Record the make, model, year, color, and license plate number of your vehicle.

Step 2

Locate the vehicle's title which lists the VIN of the car. If you are financing the vehicle, the finance company will have the title. Contact the company that issued your car loan to get a copy of the title.

Step 3

Contact your local State Department of Motor Vehicle's (DMV) office for specific instructions on what is required to replace the VIN (see Resources). You will likely be required to have an inspection of the vehicle by a police officer or DMV official to verify that the VIN plate was destroyed. Take all the recorded information with you when you go to the DMV.

More Articles

article divider