How to Get an Accident Report From Indiana

by George Lawrence J.D.

In Indiana, certain accidents must be reported to the Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) within 10 days after they occur. You may also need to submit a report to your insurance company. You can obtain these official reports by contacting the local police who investigated the accident.

Write down as much information about the accident as you can remember, including the date and time it occurred, the location, who was involved, and any case numbers you may have. (The police who investigated the accident typically provide the car owners with case numbers for future reference.)

Visit the local police department where the accident occurred. Bring the above-referenced information about the accident with you. Alternatively, you can write a request and send it to the records division of the appropriate police department.

Pay a small fee to receive the records. Fees vary by county. In Bloomington, for example, accident reports cost $5 in 2010, paid by check or money order made out to the Bloomington Police Department. In Johnson County, by contrast, such reports cost $7 (also as of 2010).

About the Author

Based in Traverse City, Mich., George Lawrence has been writing professionally since 2009. His work primarily appears on various websites. An avid outdoorsman, Lawrence holds Bachelor of Arts degrees in both criminal justice and English from Michigan State University, as well as a Juris Doctor from the Thomas M. Cooley Law School, where he graduated with honors.

Photo Credits

  • photo_camera Voiture accidentée, tonneau image by Paul Laroque from