How to Replace a 12-Volt Power Outletby Zyon Silket
A 12-volt power outlet has been commonly used to power a cigarette lighter, usually mounted in the dash panel of your vehicle. Now, traditional 12-volt power outlets have given way to outlets designed to charge your mobile phones or power your MP3 players. They are the same 12-volt power outlets used in older cars, only the manufacturer opts not to give you the cigarette lighter with them now. Replacing the 12-volt power outlet is the same on new cars as it is on older cars.
Remove the dash panel to which your 12-volt outlet secures. In general, you need a Phillip's screwdriver and/or a socket set to remove the plastic panels on the dashboard. Every make and model uses a slightly different process for installing the dash panels. If necessary, refer to the vehicle repair manual for your vehicle make and model if the bolt locations for the dash panel are not easily located.
Disconnect the wiring harness that plugs into the back of the 12-volt power outlet. The harness has a small lock on the side. Push in on the lock and pull the harness off the outlet.
Remove the jam nut that secures the outlet to the plastic dash panel using a pair of pliers or an adjustable wrench.
Slide the power outlet through the front of the dash panel by pushing on the back of the power outlet.
Slide the new power outlet through the face of the dash panel and secure it by tightening the jam nut with your pliers or adjustable wrench.
Push the wire connector onto the back of the 12-volt power outlet.
Reinstall the dash panel onto the vehicle.
Items you will need
- Socket set
- Pliers or adjustable wrench
- "Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac Full-Size Models (FWD) Repair Manual 1985-2005"; Mike Stubblefield, John H. Haynes; 2006
- "Ford F-150, F-250, Expedition, Lincoln Navigator Repair Manual 1997-2009"; Eric Michael Mihalyi, Jay Storer; 2009
- "Chevrolet S10, GMC Sonoma 1994-2004, Chevy Blazer, GMC Jimmy 1995-2004, Olds Bravada, Isuzu Hombre 1996-2001 Repair Manual"; Robert Maddox, John H. Haynes; 2005
- automobile image by razorconcept from Fotolia.com