How to Register a Camper in Massachusetts

by Nan East

Massachusetts allows online renewals of vehicle registrations, but you can't register a newly acquired camper or other vehicle for the first time online. Plan to visit a Registry of Motor Vehicles branch office. The procedure for registering a camper or motor home is the same as the procedure for registering a car. State law refers to campers as "auto homes" and requires registration. If you didn't pay sales tax directly to a Massachusetts dealer, you must pay the state's sales tax -- 6.25 percent at the time of publication -- when you register the camper, along with the registration and title fees.

Get an RMV-1 form, an application for registration. If you bought the camper from a Massachusetts dealer, you need the dealer's signature and he will most likely provide and fill out the form. If not, get the two-page form online from the Registry of Motor Vehicle's website.

Complete the RMV-1 form if the dealer doesn't. For a camper, check off "Auto Home" when you come to Question 9 on the type of registration. Fill out the form by hand or on the computer. In either case, print it on 8 1/2 inch by 11 inch white paper. The Registry will reject the form if you submit it on the wrong kind of paper or if the form is not legible.

Take the form to your insurance agent to get it stamped and signed. This provides proof of required Massachusetts insurance.

Go to a registry branch office with the form, supporting documents and money to pay the fees and applicable taxes. You will need the certificate of origin for a new vehicle. If it's not new, you need the previous owner's title and dealer re-assignment if applicable, or the bill of sale and proof of last registration for a vehicle old enough to be exempt from titling.

Complete the transaction at the registry office. You'll receive your plates, a sticker that shows the expiration date and a registration certificate. The registry will mail the new title to you or the lienholder within six to eight weeks.


  • Check on payment options on the the registry's website before you visit to register a camper. Registry offices accept cash, checks or money orders, but not credit cards, at the time of publication.

About the Author

Nan East began writing professionally in 1978 and worked as a reporter and editor for daily and weekly newspapers. Her work has appeared in the "Patriot Ledger" and other newspapers. She has awards from the New England Press Association and Suburban Newspapers of America and a Bachelor of Arts in philosophy from Wheaton College.

More Articles

Photo Credits

  • Paul Sutherland/Digital Vision/Getty Images