How to Deactivate OnStarby Amy Marie
OnStar is a vehicle safety and security system that is pre-installed at the factory on many new General Motors vehicles. When you buy a vehicle that includes an OnStar system, the initial subscription term is included in the purchase price. Although the services offered by OnStar are useful to many people and can be especially helpful during an emergency, some vehicle owners may want to cancel the service because of cost or because they do not want their vehicle tracked with the GPS system or adjusted by the remote diagnostics system.
Press the blue OnStar button in your vehicle to connect to an OnStar adviser. Alternatively, you can call OnStar directly from a cell phone or land line at (888) 4-ONSTAR (466-7827) toll-free.
Tell the OnStar adviser you want to cancel your OnStar subscription. If you are serious about canceling the service, be prepared to fend off the OnStar adviser’s offers of a discounted rate.
Verify that OnStar stops billing your credit card or other automatic payment method for the service. If you do not pay for OnStar using an automatic payment method, you don’t have to worry about this. Instead, if you do not pay your bills personally, let whoever pays your bills know that you have canceled OnStar and that future bills from OnStar should not be paid.
- You can cancel OnStar any time during your subscription. You can also reactivate it at any time if you decide you want to subscribe to OnStar again.
- If you paid in advance for more than one month, OnStar will issue you a partial refund. It does not refund subscriptions that were included in the vehicle purchase price.
- When you cancel your OnStar subscription, all OnStar features and services will stop working. If you are involved in a car accident, OnStar will not respond or send help.
- If you provided OnStar with a credit card number when your system was activated, you must contact it to cancel the service, even if the subscription was for a specific term, because you are enrolled in an automatic payment program.
Items you will need
- Active OnStar subscription