How to Transfer a Vehicle Plate to a New Car in Indianaby Kristie Lorette
The Bureau of Motor Vehicles is the agency in Indiana that issues and regulates vehicle license plates. When you have a valid license plate and you want to transfer the license plate to a new car, the Bureau of Motor Vehicles has online access you can use to provide the bureau with the new vehicle registration. If you choose not to make the transfer online, you can also visit one of the local branch offices in your area to complete the license plate transfer in person.
Open a MyBMV account. MyBMV is the online portal for you to deal with your Indiana license and license plate. You can register an account for free. Visit the MyBMV wbeiste (see Resources) and click on the “Get an Account” button. Follow the prompts on the screen to register an account, such as providing your driver’s license number, the last four digits of your social security number and your Indiana zip code.
Log in to your MyBMV account using the username and password you set up when you registered.
Identify the registered license plate you want to transfer to the new car. Click on the link that allows you to edit the vehicle information.
Input the new vehicle information that you are switching the license plate to, such as the year, make and model.
Pay the license plate transfer fee. As of January 2011, the fee for transferring an existing Indiana license plate to a new vehicle is $10.75.
Submit the information to the BMV online and switch the license plate to the new vehicle.
- The expiration of the license plate remains the same. This means you will need to renew the license plate no matter which vehicle you have it on when the date rolls around.
- The vehicle must be registered in the same name that the license plate is in order to transfer it to a new vehicle.
- Your MyBMV account also allows you to renew your license plate and license online. You are also able to update your insurance information, update your mailing address, register to receive email reminders of your renewal dates and view your driving record online. MyBMV also allows you to schedule appointments for the local branch office, view branch office hours, locate a BMV branch location and update your organ donor information.
Items you will need
- Current Indiana license plate
- license plates image by timur1970 from Fotolia.com