How to Replace the Windshield on a Jeep Cj7by Katebo
You can replace the windshield on your Jeep Cj7 easily at home using some basic tools. Jeeps are made to withstand a beating, but sometimes even their very sturdy windshields may get chips or cracks in them and require replacement. This job should only take about an hour of your time. Visit your local junkyard to see if you can find an intact windshield for sale. This will save you some money.
Unbolt the windshield using a 3/8-inch socket wrench, and set it aside.
Spray the replacement windshield with glass cleaner to make it easier to wrap the molding around it. Wrap replacement windshield molding around the windshield.
Put a 15-foot 1/4-inch nylon rope into the seam in the molding and leave 12 inches hanging out on each end.
Put the windshield on the frame from outside the Jeep, making sure the ends of the rope are hanging inside the Jeep. Push on the glass from outside the vehicle while a helper pulls on the rope from inside the Jeep, simultaneously working the molding over the frame from inside the vehicle. This will seat the windshield.
Put the windshield frame back in place and tighten it with the 3/8-inch socket wrench.
Items you will need
- 3/8-inch socket wrench
- Replacement windshield glass
- Glass cleaner
- Replacement windshield molding
- 15-foot 1/4-inch nylon rope
- "Chilton's Repair & Tune-Up Guide Jeep 1945 to 1987: All U.S. and Canadian Models of Cj-2A, Cj-3A, Cj-3B, Cj-5, Cj-6, Cj-7, Scrambler, Wrangler (Chilton's Repair Manual (Model Specific))"; Chilton; 1986
- woman in open jeep image by Inger Anne HulbÃ¦kdal from Fotolia.com