How to Program New Ford Mustang Keysby Thomas West
The Ford Mustang was introduced in 1964 as an early 1965 model and started the pony car era. Although the idea of the Mustang has not changed, the newer models have conveniences not even thought of a few years ago. The ignition keys of late-model Mustangs are computer-coded so that the engine will not start without one of the factory-coded keys. If you wish to add a key, it must first be programmed.
Assemble your keys. Have at least two factory-programmed keys and all of the spare keys you wish to program close by before you start this procedure.
Insert one of the factory-coded keys into the ignition switch. Turn the key to the "On" position for between 1 and 10 seconds, then turn the key to the "Off" position and remove it from the ignition.
Insert the second factory-programmed key into the ignition switch within 10 seconds of removing the first one. Turn the key to the "On" position for between 1 and 10 seconds, then turn the key to the "Off" position and remove it from the ignition.
Insert the key to be programmed into the ignition switch within 20 seconds of removing the second factory-programmed key.
Turn the key to the "On" position for at least 1 second to program the key. Turn the key to start the engine.
Repeat the entire procedure to program additional keys.
- "2008 Ford Mustang Owner's Guide"; Ford Motor Co.; 2008
- If you only have one factory-programmed key, you cannot self-program a spare key. You must take your vehicle to a Ford dealership to get additional keys programmed.
- If the engine will not start using a key that has been just programmed, take your vehicle and the key to a Ford dealership for assistance.
- If you have no factory-coded keys for your Mustang, you must have your car towed to a Ford dealership where they will erase the current code from the computer and code new keys to your car.
- According the Ford, use only SecuriLock keys available at a Ford dealership in your Mustang.
Things You'll Need
- Spare SecuriLock key or keys
- 2 factory-coded keys