How Do I Pay a Ticket if I Got It on a Military Base?

by Si Kingston

Military police are authorized to issue traffic tickets for violations that occur on a military base. These tickets can be tricky, especially to civilians, because it's not always clear how to pay the fine. There are two types of tickets issued; one is to civilians and the other is to military personnel. A civilian ticket is usually not handled by military authorities even though it's been issued by the military police. After the ticket is issued, the military informs the local court, which will then send you proper notice.

Step 1

Determine the type of ticket you've received. At the bottom right of the ticket, look for "DD 1805" or "DD 1408." The first type of ticket, DD 1805, is a ticket issued on a military base but enforced by the district court in the county in which the ticket was issued. A DD 1408 is a ticket issued to those driving a military vehicle, or a member of the military.

Step 2

Determine whether you were issued a warning or must pay a fine. Often DD 1805 tickets are just warnings; if the "Warning" box at the top of the ticket is checked, that's all it is. There's no fine to pay.

Step 3

Contact your first-in-command and inform him of the ticket if you're a member of the military. (If your dependent receives a ticket, you must also contact your first-in-command. A civilian is not expected to inform the military.) If you've lost the ticket, your first-in-command will know how to look up the information. He'll make arrangements for you to pay the ticket or appear in court; if it's a warning with no fine attached, he'll just note it in your records.

Step 4

Look for a United States District Court Violation Notice in the mail. If you received a ticket on a base, another notice with the violation, fine amount and court address will come in the mail. If no notice is received within four weeks, call the United States District Court that has jurisdiction over the county in which the base is located and inquire about the ticket. Mail the specified amount, as well as your full name and violation number, to the address listed in the "Court Address" section or provided by the court representative who handled your call. An envelope is provided. If you refuse to pay, you'll need to appear in court on the date specified.

More Articles

article divider