How to Check If a Georgia Driver's License Is Suspended

by Tina Amo

Driving with a suspended license is illegal and could cause you to lose it permanently. You may check your driver license status online, at the website for Georgia's Department of Driver Services, or in your driving history report. Both methods will show whether your license is suspended, revoked or still valid.

Online Inquiry

The DDS provides an uncomplicated status check tool on its website that requires few details to access your record. Type your license number into the field and click "Continue." The following page will display your current license status, whether valid, suspended or revoked.

Order a Driving History Report Online

Your driving history report contains your current license status as well as a history of any driving infractions over the last three or seven years. You can order an uncertified version which you can view immediately online or a certified version that the department will mail to you. The uncertified version will be available to view and print for 30 days. You will receive the certified version within seven days. You can request a three-year report for $6 or a seven-year report for $8, as of publication. Pay with a debit or credit card online (Discover, American Express, MasterCard, Visa) or mail a check, cashier's check money order or credit card details. You must create an account with the department before you can place an order or view the report.

Order Report by Mail

Submit Form DDS-18, Request for Motor Vehicle Report, or a letter, to the department to request a copy of your driving record. Provide the following in your form or letter: your name as it appears on your license, your license number, your date of birth and mailing address. Include a personal or business check, money order, cashier's check or credit card details for the payment and a self-addressed stamped envelope. Mail your request to: Georgia Department of Driver Services, MVR Request, P.O. Box 80447, Conyers, GA 30013.

Order Your Report in Person

You also can order your report in person at any DDS branch office. You must show identification such as a valid driver license, passport or permanent residence card. Pay with a debit or credit card, check, cash or money order. If you are ordering a report for someone else, have her complete Form DDS-18 and give you an authorization letter. Provide both at the department branch, along with your identification and the payment.

More Articles

article divider