How to Change the Engine Oil in a Nissan Patrol 4.2 Dieselby Cassandra Tribe
The Nissan Patrol 4.2 Diesel is not typically found in the USA, being more normally distributed in the Middle East and Africa. If you have managed to luck into one of these vehicles, you may be having a hard time finding documentation on their repair and maintenance. For many of the routine mechanical maintenance jobs it is helpful to know that the Nissan Patrol is virtually identical to the Nissan Armada. You can use the same resource material to learn how to change the oil in a Nissan Patrol 4.2 Diesel and best of all, the Patrol sits high enough off the ground that you won't need to jack it up.
With the engine cool, slide a drain pan underneath the oil pan of your Nissan Patrol. The oil pan is located toward the front of the engine, under the main engine block, and is flat on the bottom. You will see a drain plug protruding from the passenger side of the oil pan (the drain plug looks like a regular bolt).
Loosen and remove the drain plug, with a socket wrench. Allow all of the oil to drain from the vehicle into the drain pan.
Re-install the drain plug in the oil pan and tighten it with a torque wrench to 22 to 29 ft-lbs. Do not over-tighten the plug, as you can crack the threads and cause an oil leak.
Open the hood and remove the stopper and dipstick from the oil-fill spout. The spout is on the passenger side of the engine, slightly off-center, toward the front of the engine block and directly behind the power-steering-fluid reservoir.
Use a funnel to pour new oil into the engine. Wipe any spilled oil off the engine block with a rag. When you are done, return the dipstick and stopper to the oil-fill spout and close the hood.
- If you change your oil filter when you change the engine oil, be prepared to add almost another 1/2-quart of oil.
- Make sure that you change your oil every 4,000 to 7,000 miles to keep your Nissan Patrol 4.2 Diesel running smoothly. Dirty oil can cause sediment to build up in the cooling channels, leading to overheating.
Items you will need
- Socket set
- Drain pain
- Torque wrench
- 6-1/2 quarts SAE 5W-30 Mark 2 Oil
- WorldCarFans.com: 2010 Nissan Patrol
- 2010 Armada Owner's Manual; Nissan; pp 8-6 thru 8-10, 9-2
- extreme off-road image by krysek from Fotolia.com