How to Avoid Speeding Penalty Points

by Louise Lawson
itstillruns article image

Speeding tickets are something that most drivers will have to deal with. They can be costly, but it is possible to work with the courts to reduce just how much damage they can do.

Step 1

Contact the court in question after receiving your speeding ticket to find out how soon you can take care of it. Usually there is a waiting period of a few days before the tickets gets from the officer to the court and is entered, but contacting the court within 10 days is usually a safe bet.

Step 2

Review your driving history. You can pick up a copy of your driving record from your local Department of Motor Vehicles office. Your driving history will show the status of your license and any tickets that have been placed on your record. Courts typically look at your driving history when considering points on speeding tickets.

Step 3

Return to the courthouse and speak to a clerk or other official regarding your ticket. Ask what your options are. Most courts offer a reduction or elimination of points if you can abide by driving regulations.

Step 4

Inquire about a reduction in points. Many courts will allow you to take a lesser amount of points on the ticket if you pay the fines ahead of your court date or pay for the ticket in person.

Step 5

Check on a deferred sentence. A deferred sentenced is a process by which the court checks on your past driving history. If you have a relatively clean record, they will allow you to defer the points on the ticket for a period of time. As long as you abide by all the conditions of the deferred sentence, the court typically dismisses the points and they do not affect your driver’s license.

Step 6

Pay your citation in person if possible. In most states, simply signing the ticket and mailing in the fine is an automatic admittance of guilt, and the court typically turns in the full amount of points to the DMV.

Step 7

Call an attorney if you re uncomfortable with the options that the court gives you. Each court runs in a different manner, and an attorney is often able to negotiate a deal with the city or county that you are not. Many attorneys offer a free consultation, so take advantage of this if you need a lawyer.

Step 8

See the judge if necessary. Often times you can explain your situation to the judge and they can offer you a reduction in points or fines that the clerks cannot. Be sure this is in line with the court's policy to avoid any issues or trouble with your case.

More Articles

article divider