How to Add Transmission Fluid to the 2000 VW Jettaby Grace Mclain
Transmission fluid keeps your vehicle's transmission parts lubricated and cool. When the transmission fluid breaks down, it does not protect the parts as it should, and the transmission becomes more vulnerable to damage. You can add transmission fluid to your VW Jetta in just a few minutes.
Jack the car up so you can reach the transmission fluid fill plug, which is on the top of the transmission pan. Use a ratchet and socket to remove the fill plug.
Attach the plastic hose to the fluid pump, then put the other end of the plastic hose inside the transmission fill hole.
Pump the automatic transmission fluid into the transmission pan until it starts to run out of the fill hole.
Remove the plastic hose from the transmission fill hole. Put the fill plug back into the transmission and tighten the plug into the transmission pan with the ratchet and socket.
- You can get a fluid pump at most auto parts stores. A pump also comes with the Volkswagen Jetta Transmission Fluid Filter Kit.
- If the transmission fill plug is too tight for the ratchet, use a pull bar and the proper size socket.
- Do not overtighten the fill plug; this can cause it to strip out in the hole.
Items you will need
- Socket set
- Fluid pump
- Plastic hose
- Automatic transmission fluid
- Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images