1947 Caterpillar D7 Bulldozer Specificationsby Cathel Hutchison
The Caterpillar D7 bulldozer was a medium sized bulldozer which first saw service for the US military during World War II. Used primarily for earth moving, its other roles included mine clearing, which it could do with the addition of a special flail adapter kit. The ability of the D7 to move earth varies with different soil conditions.
The Caterpillar D7, which was available in 1947, first went into production in 1940. Built at Caterpillar's factory in Peori, Illinois, it possessed an open, operator station cab and a crawler type body chassis. In addition, it had a manual clutches-type steering system and contracting band brakes. Caterpillar finally stopped making the D7 in 1961.
The Caterpillar D7 had both naturally and turbo-charged aspirated diesel engines with a displacement of 831 cubic inches or 13.6 liters. It had four cylinders, a bore by stroke of 5 3/4-by-8 inches and a compression ratio of 15.7 to 1. It used a liquid cooling system with a coolant capacity of 72 quarts. It used an oil bath air cleaner, had an oil capacity of 22 quarts and employed a two-cylinder pony engine starter type.
The Caterpillar D7 bulldozer was able to generate a maximum output of 89.10 hp at 1,200 rpm. It had a maximum belt fuel use of 6 gallons per hour and a maximum drawbar power of 78.48 hp. In addition, it could generate a maximum drawbar pull of 21,351 lbs.
The Caterpillar D7 bulldozer employed a gear transmission type and had five forward and four reverse gears. It had a dry metallic disc clutch type and an oil capacity of 40 quarts. It could reach a speed of 1.4 mph in first gear, 2.2 mph in second, 3.2 mph in third, 4.6 mph in fourth, and 6 mph in fifth. In addition, it could travel at 1.6 mph in reverse gear one, 2.6 mph in reverse two, 3.8 mph in reverse three, and 5.4 mph in reverse four.
The Caterpillar D7 bulldozer had a shipping weight of 24,330 lbs. It was 162 1/4 inches long and 97 inches wide. It height with hood was 80 inches. It had a ground clearance of 15 1/2 inches, a drawbar clearance of 17 1/4 inches and a rear tread of 74 inches. It had 20-inch front and rear tracks.
Cathel Hutchison began editing and writing in 2007 and has worked with various institutions and publishers, including editing courses for the Open University and captioning for the cultural archive "Am Baile." Hutchison holds a Master of Letters in history from the University of Aberdeen and a Master of Arts in American studies from the University of Edinburgh.