How to Use OnStar to Unlock a Vehicleby Amy Marie
Imagine your child or dog locked inside your car while you are standing helplessly outside. That scenario can happen more easily than you might imagine. A child playing with the door locks or a key fob remote can lock the doors in the blink of an eye. An excited dog pawing at the windows and doors can push down a door lock before you know it. The OnStar vehicle assistance system can save you time, money and aggravation when you accidentally lock your keys in the car by sending a remote signal to your car that will unlock the doors.
Call OnStar directly using a cell phone or landline at 1-888-4-ONSTAR (1-888-466-7827.)
Identify yourself and your vehicle to the OnStar advisor. The OnStar advisor will ask you security questions to verify your account information before unlocking the car.
Stay on the line with the OnStar advisor until your vehicle doors unlock.
- OnStar advisors are available to unlock your car 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Keep the OnStar toll-free number handy in your cell phone address book.
- Put an OnStar window sticker on your car. The sticker has the OnStar toll-free number printed right on it.
- Make sure you don’t inadvertently let your OnStar subscription lapse. You always get stuck when you least expect it and you want to be able to get help quickly.
- The remote unlock is not always successful. For OnStar to unlock your vehicle remotely, the battery and electrical system must be working, and both a GPS signal and wireless communication service must be available.
Items you will need
- Ryan McVay/Photodisc/Getty Images