How to Replace Tail Lights on a Chrysler Sebringby Lindsay Maddox
The tail lights on your Chrysler Sebring are an important fixture to ensure your safety. When working properly, other drivers are able to spot your car in heavy rain, fog, snow storms and at night. If one of your tail lights has burnt out, you are required by law to fix it. Fortunately, with the right tools and a little concentration you will be able to change it properly and efficiently.
Open the trunk and carefully peel back the trunk liner from the corner of the trunk to reveal the tail light casing. Avoid pulling too hard on the liner as it rips easily.
Remove the two plastic wing nuts from the casing that covers the tail light bulb. Make sure to put the wing nuts in a safe place to avoid losing them.
Grab the tail light casing and pull it firmly outward while pushing on the studs from inside the trunk. This will remove the casing from the corner of the trunk.
Twist the bulb's connector a quarter turn counterclockwise and remove the connector from the tail light casing.
Carefully remove the bulb from the bulb electrical connector.
Gently insert the new bulb into the bulb electrical connector.
Lock the bulb connector into the casing by placing the bulb connector into the tail light casing and rotating the connector a quarter turn clockwise. Be careful to not touch the tip of the bulb with your hand as this may damage the bulb.
Set the tail light casing back into the corner of the trunk.
Screw the two wing nuts onto the tail light casing with your fingers to lock it into place.
Unfold the trunk liner and situate it back into place.
- Refer to your car's owner's manual before attempting to replace the bulb.
- Dispose of old bulb properly.
- Purchase the new bulb before removing the old one, and ensure that the new bulb is intended for use in a Chrysler Sebring.
- Once the new bulb is installed, turn the headlights on to ensure that it works before completing the installation process.
- Always use caution when working with electrical components.
- Do not replace tail lights during inclement weather.
Items you will need
- Replacement bulbs for your specific model and year
- Chrysler Sebring Owner's Manual
- taillight cross image by Carbonbrain from Fotolia.com