How to Replace Lost Handicap Placards

by Toni Grundstom
itstillruns article image
handicap parking only sign image by jimcox40 from

Persons with disabilities are allowed to park in specially marked parking spaces that make it easier for them to get into a store, office or other public building. In order to use these spaces--and avoid the hefty fines that come with unauthorized use--you need handicapped license plates or a handicapped placard. The placards hang from the rear-view mirror and, over time, they can get mutilated or lost. You can replace your lost placard by following a specific process.

Step 1

Obtain an Application for Disabled Person Placard. According to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in Minnesota, "Finding driver-related disability forms--such as those for disabled drivers' license plates and parking placards--takes no more effort than visiting the Web site of your state's DMV or motor vehicle agency, downloading the form (most are in PDF format), and printing it." Find your local DMV office at The Unofficial DMV Guide,

Step 2

Make a copy of your validated receipt for the original placard. This proves that the placard does belong to you.

Step 3

If you can't find your latest validated receipt for the original placard, ask your physician complete a new "Physician's Statement for Disabled Person's Placard," and submit it with your application. Search for "physician's statement for disabled persons placard ", replacing the with your state's abbreviation.

Step 4

Submit your required information by mail to the address specified on your state's DMV website, or bring it in to your local DMV office to replace your lost handicap placard.

More Articles

article divider