How to Rent a Car With a Driverby Melissa Reece
Renting a car with a personal driver is not as difficult as it may seem. The biggest challenge could be to determine what type vehicle you want. Options include limousines, luxury town cars and rental cars. Regardless of what you choose, renting a car with a driver could save you time if you try to find your way around a city--or it may make you feel like you are arriving in style.
Research rentals. Car rental agencies such as Avis and Enterprise offer drivers. Search for limousine or luxury car rental online to find locations. Find out what kind of extras are included with limousine rentals. Some rentals come with everything from disco balls to dance floors. Determine the size and the model of car you want. Check with local consumer affairs offices to learn if there are complaints before you deal with an unfamiliar company.
Ensure that the rental is within your budget. Rental car drivers start around $30 an hour for a minimum of three hours. This is not including a service charge or gratuity. Limousine, luxury town cars and party buses cost more. Standard rentals can cost between $65 and $100 per hour for a limo. Ask if there's a flat rather than an hourly fee. Get an estimate of how much it would cost you to rent a driver for the time period needed.
Reserve your rental by phone or online. Most companies prefer you do this at least 24 hours in advance. If you are reserving by phone, a representative can arrange for the vehicle and the driver. If you use the Internet, you must first reserve a rental car and then reserve a driver separately.
- check You can also hire a someone to drive your own car instead of renting a car through a rental agency.
- check Try to book a limousine reservation as far in advance as possible, especially during prom or wedding season.
- check Make sure that the driver will pick you up at your specified location.
- check Read the fine print before signing a contract.
- close If you are planning on an overnight trip and have hired a driver, you are responsible for his room and board.
- close Check on deadlines for cancellation. If you cancel a reservation too close to the date you want the vehicle and driver, you might be charged a penalty.