How to Get Rid of a Car with No Title

by Sheila Robinson
itstillruns article image

A lost or missing car title shouldn't prevent you from getting rid of your car. Follow these guidelines and you will not have any reason to worry.

Basic Instructions

Step 1

Look at your vehicle registration. Are you the sole owner? Skip to section 2 if this does not apply.

Step 2

Go to your local Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Get an “Application for Duplicate Title.” Fill out the information shown on your registration, and include your mileage. There is also a section to transfer ownership that will need to be filled out by both parties.

Step 3

Get rid of your car. If you are selling or donating the car with no title within your home state, the forms, plus a copy of your registration, are all that is usually needed by the new owner to transfer the car into their name.

Step 4

Protect yourself. If you sell or donate the car, be sure to get a “Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability” form and fill it out within five days of getting rid of your car. This will prevent you for being liable on any tickets or violations that may occur while transfer of ownership is being processed through DMV.

Registrations with lienholders, past due fees or multiple owners

Step 1

Obtain a lien release. If you have purchased your car through a bank or credit union (and you do not owe money), contact them directly for this form. The contact information can be found on a billing statement or simple search on the Internet.

Step 2

Pay any past-due registration fees. Or, if the buying party is willing, deduct this from their purchase cost. The process of getting rid of a car with no title will be smoother and prevent any delays from the DMV.

Step 3

Everyone signs the paperwork. If your spouse or relative's name is listed on your registration, they may need to fill out the DMV forms with you to transfer ownership to someone else.

More Articles

article divider