Can You Buy a Car Without a License?by Christopher Raines
If you buy car for someone else, such as a family member, you must register the car with your state's motor vehicle office. Depending on your state, you don't necessarily need to prove you're qualified to drive, though states like California prohibit non-licensed minors from registering or buying vehicles. You must, however, be able to prove your identity and the ability to pay damages caused by someone you allow to drive your vehicle.
Proof of Identity
Depending on your state, if you don't have a driver's license, you can show a **state-issued photo identification card** as proof of identity. Certain states permit only a driver's license or state-issued identification card as acceptable proof. In some states, other forms of acceptable identification include *U.S. passport *Social Security card *Birth certificate *Social Security card *Marriage certificate
Proof of Financial Responsibility
**Proof of financial responsibility** to register the vehicle generally means liability or no-fault insurance, depending on your state. This insurance pays for bodily injuries or property damage caused by someone you allow to drive. An insurance card or copy of your policy normally will suffice. Aside from insurance, you can get a bond from a surety company, put up real property, or in states such as Nebraska use certificates of deposit, stocks or bonds.
- link Minnesota Department of Public Safety: Driver and Vehicle Services
- link North Carolina Department of Transportation: Division of Motor Vehicles: Titles
- link Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles: Vehicle Registration
- link California Department of Motor Vehicles: Vehicle Registration and Title Information
- link Missouri Department of Revenue: Proof of Financial Responsibility Bond
- link District of Columbia: Department of Motor Vehicles: For New District Residents
- link Maryland Department of Transportation: Motor Vehicle Administration
- link New York State Department of Motor Vehicles: Automobile Liability Insurance
- photo_camera Medioimages/Photodisc/Photodisc/Getty Images