How to Tell a Turbo 350 Transmission

by Allen Moore

The General Motors Turbo-Hydramatic 350 transmission was the workhorse of the GM V-8 fleet from 1969 until the late 1980s, when GM replaced it with the overdrive 700R4. One of the most common engine/transmission combinations was the 350/350, where a 350 cubic-inch engine was mated with the Turbo 350 transmission. Many consider this combination extremely durable and easy to repair. When purchasing parts for your transmission, you'll need to know for sure if you're working on a Turbo 350 or something else. Identifying your transmission before heading to the parts store is a good idea.

Slide under your GM vehicle with a flashlight until you can clearly see the bottom of the transmission, where the transmission pan bolts to the transmission assembly. The transmission is located between the engine and the drive shaft.

Note the shape of the pan. It should have a roughly square shape, with the corner toward the right-rear of the vehicle angled off.

Note the number of bolts holding the pan to the transmission. A Turbo 350 pan has 13 bolts total, four across the top (the area closest to the engine), three down the left side, three across the bottom (side closest to the rear of your vehicle), one in the angled off right-rear corner and two on the left-side.

Items you will need

About the Author

Allen Moore's career includes awards in poetry and creative fiction, published lyrics, fiction books and nonfiction articles as well as a master certification in automotive service from the Ford Motor Company. Moore is a contributing writer for and various other websites, a ghostwriter for Rainbow Writing and has over a dozen works of fiction currently in print.