How to Remove the 700R4 Transmission Governor

by Don Bowman

The transmission governor on a 700R4 is used to regulate the speed at which the transmission shifts into the next higher or lower gear. It accomplishes this through the use of two sets of centrifugal weights, each a different weight. The heavier weights are used for mid-range rpm and the lighter weights are for high rpm shifts. As rpm increases, the weights rise due to centrifugal force. The higher the rpm, the more force they exert closing the fluid passages, causing the shift to be delayed until the internal fluid pressure counteracts the force of the weights and allows the transmission to shift.

Raise the driver's side of the vehicle using the floor jack. Place a jack stand under the frame and lower the vehicle onto the jack stand.

Remove the bolts in the governor with the use of a socket. The governor is located on the driver's side of the transmission. This is easy to identify since it is the only round cover.

Remove the governor by pulling it out with a slight clockwise twist.


  • Different weights can be obtained to change the shift points on the transmission. This is very useful for towing or in the event of a gear change in the differential.

Items you will need

About the Author

Don Bowman has been writing for various websites and several online magazines since 2008. He has owned an auto service facility since 1982 and has over 45 years of technical experience as a master ASE tech. Bowman has a business degree from Pennsylvania State University and was an officer in the U.S. Army (aircraft maintenance officer, pilot, six Air Medal awards, two tours Vietnam).

More Articles

Photo Credits

  • Thinkstock/Comstock/Getty Images