How to Replace the Springs in a Mitsubishi Eclipseby Contributor
The Eclipse is a very popular four-door sports coupe with an above average suspension system and the springs are fairly easy to replace. The Mitsubishi Eclipse's MacPherson struts can be disassembled without any special tools and the springs can be replaced by any experienced mechanic.
Lift the Eclipse and block the wheels with jack stands before disconnecting and removing: the front wheel, shock absorber's mounting nuts except for the large nut in center of shock.
Disconnect the stabilizer link from the damper fork and remove the mounting bolt from the damper fork.
Remove the shock absorber assembly from the Eclipse and attach a spring compressor to the coil spring. Compress the spring. This step can be dangerous if not performed properly. Care must be taken when installing the compressor and compressing the spring to avoid injury.
Steady the piston rod while removing the self-locking nut. Once the nut is free, disconnect the upper bracket assembly and spring pad, and remove the collar, upper bushing, cup assembly, bump rubber, dust cover and the coil spring from the shock absorber.
Compress the spring and set the replacement coil spring properly within the spring seat and install the spring on the shock absorber.
Reinstall the removed pieces in reverse order. Make certain to torque the self-locking nut to correct levels along with the mounting bolts and nuts.
Reinstall the wheel assembly and lower the vehicle. Align the wheels if necessary and perform a safety check before driving.
- Buy powder-coated springs which are coated with a rust proofing before the powder paint is applied and baked on. This process makes the spring much more resistant to corrosion.
- Replacing the front and rear springs require the removal of the MacPherson strut and the steps for both are essentially the same.
- Take the pressure off the springs before disassembling. This is potentially very dangerous as the springs carry a great deal of force which is expended when their restraints are released.
Items you will need
- Replacement springs
- Safety goggles
- Floor jack and stands
- Socket wrench and sockets
- Box wrench
- Adjustable crescent wrench
- Lug wrench
- Torque wrench
- Spring compressor and associated tools