How to Replace a Caliper in a Saturn VUEby Contributor
The Saturn VUE comes standard with drum brakes on the rear wheels. This means only the front brakes have calipers, so you'll only need to replace a maximum of two calipers at a time if needed. This does not reduce the importance of the proper procedure.
Remove the front wheel and tire once the vehicle is securely raised. Make sure you're using a jack stand suitable for a larger vehicle like the VUE.
Disconnect the brake hose from the caliper and throw away the copper washers that were connected with the bolt. Plug the holes in the hose and caliper with rubber pieces.
Extract the guide pin and lock pin to free the caliper. Make sure you don't damage the pin boots while you remove the caliper.
Lubricate the guide pins and pin boots with silicone grease before installing the new caliper. Place the caliper in position on the support and over the brake pads, and install the lubricated bolts.
Connect the brake hose to the caliper, using two new washers with the bolt. See that the brake line isn't twisted and is correctly routed with a loop to the rear.
Bleed the brake system. Open the bleeder valve and connect a transparent hose or tube to it. Have another person press the pedal to release air from the system.
Reconnect the wheel and lower the vehicle. Make sure the brakes are set by pumping the brake pedal until it feels firm.
- Check the guide pin boots after removing the caliper. Look for any damage to see if they need to be replaced.
- Inspect the new caliper's piston to make sure it's bottomed in the bore. If not, compress it into the bore with a C-clamp.
- Don't lubricate the threaded ends of the guide or lock pins.
- Never clean brake parts with dry means like brushing or compressed air. These parts can contain asbestos fibers. Run a mist of water over any brake parts, wipe them with a damp cloth and dispose of the cloth in an airtight container.
Items you will need
- Saturn VUE caliper
- Jack stand
- Tire iron
- Various wrenches
- Replacement copper washers
- Small rubber pieces
- Transparent tube