How to Remove a 1996 F-150 Fuel Filterby Grace Mclain
The 1996 Ford F-150 comes equipped with a fuel filter that cleans the fuel before it gets to the truck's engine. The fuel filter is designed to trap any sediments from the fuel inside the filter; once the clean fuel leaves the fuel filter, it travels to the engine. Ford recommends replacing the fuel filter on the F-150 models between 50,000 and 75,000 miles.
Park the 1996 F-150 on a even surface and shut the engine off. Set the emergency brake.
Open the gas tank lid and unscrew the gas cap from the gas tank to relieve the gas pressure from the fuel filter.
Slide under the driver side of the F-150, and locate the fuel filter that is connected to the frame rail under the driver side cab. The fuel filter will have one fuel line coming out of each end, and it is enclosed inside a metal flexible bracket.
Pry the safety clips off both fuel lines with a flat head screwdriver. Slide the screwdriver under the safety clip and pry upward until the safety clip unlocks from the fuel line. Remove the safety clip.
Slide the fluid catch pan under the fuel filter. Slide the fuel line quick disconnect tool into the end of the fuel line where the fuel line locks onto the fuel filter port. Press the tool inward until you feel the fuel line unlock from the fuel filter. Pull the fuel line straight off the fuel filter port. Repeat this process on the other fuel line.
Slide the fuel filter out of the bracket and put it into the fluid catch pan. Slide the new fuel filter into the bracket with the flow arrow on the fuel filter facing the engine. (The flow arrow indicates the direction of the fuel flow through the fuel filter.)
- The flow arrow on the fuel filter represents the flow of the fuel from the gas tank to the engine; The arrow must be pointing toward the engine.
- You can purchase a fuel line quick disconnect tool for a 1996 Ford F-150 at most auto parts stores.
- Always wear safety glasses around gas.
- Never smoke around gas.
Items you will need
- Fluid catch pan
- Fuel line quick disconnect tool
- Flat head screwdriver
- New fuel filter
- "Ford Full-Size Pick-Ups F-100 thru F-350 and Bronco, 1980 thru 1996 (Haynes Repair Manual)"; John Haynes; 1997
- FordF150: How to Replace the Fuel Filter on a 1996 Ford F-150
- Hemera Technologies/AbleStock.com/Getty Images