How to Prime a Cummins 5.9 Injector Pumpby Jared CurtisUpdated July 12, 2023
The injector pump in your 5.9 Cummins can be primed quickly. Priming the fuel system is needed when the fuel system has been worked on or if you ran out of fuel. Fuel filters should be replaced often, which require the priming of the injection pump. Priming is the process of getting diesel fuel to the cylinders. No special equipment or tools are necessary to prime the engine.
1. Get into the driver's seat of the vehicle
Get into the driver's seat of the vehicle.
2. Turn the key to the "On" position and listen for the mechanical pump in the fuel tank to engage
Turn the key to the "On" position and listen for the mechanical pump in the fuel tank to engage. The pump will run for about 20 seconds.
3. Turn the key enough to engage the starter
Turn the key enough to engage the starter. Do not attempt the start the vehicle. This will engage the fuel pump for about 20 seconds.
4. Repeat Step 3 four to five times
Repeat Step 3 four to five times to allow the fuel line to pressurize.
5. Attempt to start the engine
Attempt to start the engine. Depress the fuel pedal while turning the key until the engine starts.
Video: 5.9 Cummins OEM Fuel Filter and Priming Fuel System
Comments on this video:
- Totally saved me after a fuel filter change on my motorhome...prime the system...pressing a secret button with a hard spring after cracking open the fuel filter right above it...pressing the gas pedal down all the way while cranking...who knew?? Thanks very much....started right up after following your directions
- I have the 2002 and my fuel filter is up front like you said. It's pretty easy to change. Keep up the great videos..
Living in Utah, Jared Curtis graduated in 2005 with a Bachelor of Science degree from Utah Valley University in Orem, Utah. Curtis is continuing his education in hard sciences to apply to medical school in the future. He began writing professionally in 2010, specializing in cabinet-related articles.