How to Get a Manufacturer's Statement of Origin

by Jean Asta

The Manufacturer's Statement of Origin, sometimes called the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin, is a certification of a brand new vehicle by the manufacturer of the vehicle. It is required in some states in order to register your new vehicle with the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). However, it is not a federal requirement, so you should first determine if your state requires it by contacting your local DMV office.

Ask the car dealership for a copy of the Manufacturer's Statement of Origin before leaving the sale if you buy the car in person and in your own state.

Purchasing a new vehicle from a state other than your own may mean that you have to ask for the Manufacturer's Statement of Origin to be sent to you.

Contact the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators (AAMVA) if you are not purchasing a vehicle but are instead considering manufacturing a new motor vehicle.


  • You cannot create the certification yourself - only the vehicle manufacturer or dealer can do so. However, you can get assistance from the AAMVA if you find that you have any trouble getting the certificate.

About the Author

Jean Asta has been a freelance writer for domestic and international clients since 2005. She also acts as a training consultant to businesses and nonprofit organizations in the southeast United States. Asta holds a Master of Public Administration with a concentration in nonprofit management and a Bachelor of Arts in English literature, both from the University of Georgia.

More Articles

Photo Credits

  • Headlight on new car image by steven Husk from Fotolia.com