How to Make an ATV Have More Powerby Brenton Shields
ATVs, or All Terrain Vehicles, are used for both sport and recreation. These four-wheeled vehicles are designed for trekking through rough terrain, like forests or mountains. You need to have a powerful ride if you want to win any races or get through rough terrain quickly, and luckily a few tuneups can give your vehicle an extra kick. A lot of these upgrades require a bit of mechanical experience, so if you're not sure what to do, have the work done by a professional.
Install an aftermarket air filter to replace the stock air filter. The engine takes in air and uses it to help burn fuel. An aftermarket air filter, like a K&N filter, typically allows more air to enter the engine. More air brings in more oxygen and burns more fuel, giving the ATV more power.
Use smaller tires. Tires with 10-inch and 12-inch wheel diameters allow for increased horsepower, compared to 20-inch wheels or bigger. Bigger wheels mean more weight and more weight means less speed and, ultimately, less power since it puts more stress on the engine.
Install a big bore kit. Big bore kits replace some of the essential gears in and around the engine and are available for both 4-stroke and 2-stroke ATV engines. The kits increase the size of the engine displacement and, therefore, improve both horsepower and torque. These typically require professional installation, however.
Replace the stock exhaust with a sport exhaust. Aftermarket sport exhausts usually have wider diameters than the stock systems. The wide diameter allows for more gas from the engine to escape, relieving pressure on the engine and allowing it to run more effectively. Exhaust systems should be installed by a professional, as they may require welding.
- Always keep the fluids replenished in your ATV and change the oil often. Fresh fluids allow the engine to run more efficiently, which increases its horsepower as well as its lifespan.
- Never try to do any modifications you're not 100 percent comfortable with. Doing so voids the warranty on the vehicle, and you may install something incorrectly, which can be dangerous.
Items you will need
- Aftermarket air filter
- Proper tires
- Big bore kit
- Sport exhaust
- K&N Filters: Add Horsepower to your motorcycle or ATV and Save Money with K&N Air Filters
- MPG Performance: How to Get More Horsepower for Your ATV or Quad
- ATV Action; The Smartest Money to Spend on Your ATV; February 2000
- Kustom-Kraft Performance: Motorcycle-ATV Big Bore Kits
- Mud-Throwers: Frequently Asked Questions Regarding ATV Tire Sizing and Selection
- Jupiterimages/Brand X Pictures/Getty Images