How to Join Gumball 3000

by Roland Hulme
itstillruns article image Images

The Gumball 3000 is an annual 3,000-mile road rally that takes its name from the 1976 movie "The Gumball Rally." Founded in 1999 by former race driver Maximillion Cooper, the rally takes a different course each year on public roads, and features over 100 entrants in two-man teams, driving high-performance, classic or notable cars and vehicles. The rally is described as a "road adventure" and not a race by organizers, and there are no prizes for coming first.

Step 1

Select your vehicle for the Gumball 3000. Most entrants choose high-performance or classic vehicles -- previous entrants have driven vintage Jaguar sports cars, high performance Ferraris and luxurious Rolls Royces. Others choose vehicles that are particularly distinct or noteworthy -- in previous years these have included an ice cream van, a Citreon 2CV and a British police car.

Step 2

Fill in the application form at You will need need to provide all of your personal details, plus the details of the car you plan to drive in the rally. There is also a section on the website application for personal comments, in which you should give specific reasons for entering the Gumball 3000 -- including any charity or cause you will be supporting during the event. In 2009 the Gumball 3000 supported the Wounded Warriors project.

Step 3

Pay your entrance fee. This can vary from year to year, and details can be found on the Gumball 3000 website. In 2008, the entry fee was $120,000. In 2011, it was $50,000. The entry fee is payable in British pounds sterling at the current exchange rate.

Step 4

Travel to the start of the Gumball 3000. You will need to transport yourself and your vehicle, and ensure you have completed all necessary paperwork required to drive legally there. This includes having valid permission to drive in every country featured in the Gumball 3000 route, plus have valid insurance and licensing for your vehicle. Normally foreign vehicles can be insured for driving abroad with a domestic insurer, and most countries allow registered foreign vehicles to be temporarily driven on their roads.

More Articles

article divider