How to Change a Pontiac Front Signal Lightby Kevin Mclain
Most all of the Pontiac vehicle models require the same front signal light bulb replacement process. The front signal light bulb is powered when the blinker assembly is turned on. The front signal light bulb also allows other drivers in front of you to visually see which direction the car is turning. If the blinker is pulled down, then the front signal bulb will blink on the front right hand side of the Pontiac. If the blinker ism pulled up, the front signal bulb will blink on the front left side of the Pontiac.
Park the Pontiac and shut the engine off. Engage the parking brake and make sure that all of the lights are turned off. Pull the hood release.
Open the hood and prop it up. Move to the head lamp side in which the signal bulb needs to be replaced. Inspect above the head lamp assembly and determine if there are two pull-out clips or two 10 mm bolts. If the head lamp assembly is held in place by the clips, pull straight up on the clips until the clips lock in place. Move the front of the head lamp assembly and pull the entire assembly out from the front.
Remove the two 10 mm bolts from the head lamp assembly that come equipped with the bolts instead of the clips. Use a 10 mm open-end wrench to remove the two bolts. Move to the front of the head lamp assembly and pull the entire assembly straight out.
Hold the head lamp assembly with one hand and use the other hand to remove the signal bulb. The signal light bulb will be on the inner side of the head lamp assembly. Push the bulb inward and turn the signal bulb counter-clockwise at the same time until the bulb is completely loose inside of the socket. Pull the bulb straight out of the socket.
Push the new signal bulb into the socket and turn the bulb clockwise at the same time until the bulb stops turning. Gently pull out on the bulb to ensure that it is locked into the socket.
Turn the ignition key to the accessory position and turn the blinker on to the side of the new bulb. Inspect the new bulb to ensure that it works. Turn the key and the blinker back off. Reinstall the head lamp assembly and close the hood.
- " General Motors Haynes Repair Manual covering FWD models of the Buick Regal (1988 thru 2004), Chevrolet Lumina (1990 thru 1994), Olds Cutlass Supreme (1988 thru 1997), and Pontiac Grand Prix (1988 thru 2007);" John Haynes; 2008
- " General Motors Haynes Repair Manual covering Chevrolet Malibu (1997 thru 2003), Oldsmobile Alero (1999 thru 2003), Oldsmobile Cutlass (1997 thru 2000), and Pontiac Grand Am (1999 thru 2003);" John Haynes; 2004
- Most all of the Pontiac model vehicles require a 3157 signal bulb. This bulb can be found at most all auto parts stores.
Things You'll Need
- 10 mm open-end wrench
- New signal light bulb (3157)
- Do not force the bulb out of the socket. This can result in the glass bulb to break and cut your hands and fingers. Insert and remove the bulb exactly as explained in the steps above.
Kevin Mclain has more than 20 years of automotive, home improvement and landscaping experience. He has been writing for various online publications since 2002. Mclain has U.S. Army certification in automotive maintenance and repair, among more than 15 additional certifications related to the automotive field.