How to Change Oil in a 1998 Honda Shadow 750by Susan Revermann
A 1998 Honda Shadow 750 is a cruising motorcycle equipped with a V-Twin engine. You ride this bike with your feet forward and your arms stretched out on the wide handlebars. It is important to keep your Honda Shadow in working order with regular tuneups and maintenance, including proper oil changes. This oil-change process follows typical oil-changing protocol and should be done on a regular basis.
Run the engine for a few minutes to warm the oil slightly. Turn the engine off. This allows the oil to drain easier, and it helps circulate any sediment that may have settled to the bottom of the oil pan.
Keep your Honda Shadow upright on the side stand. Remove the oil fill cap to allow for better oil drainage. Locate the drain plug, which is on the left side of the oil pan behind the left frame rail. Position the oil drain pan below this drain plug.
Loosen and remove the oil pan bolt with a wrench. Allow all the oil to drain into the oil pan.
Return the oil pan bolt to its original position. Tighten the bolt until snug, and turn a quarter turn more to make sure it is tight. Consider replacing the washer gasket on your oil pan bolt at this time too.
Move the oil pan to the rear of the engine where the oil filter is located. Firmly grip, loosen and remove the oil filter. Turn it upside down on the oil drain pan so the contents drain out.
Fill the new oil filter with new oil. Dip your finger into the oil, and place a light coating of oil on the oil filter gasket that runs around the top of the oil filter. This provides a seal when you replace and tighten the filter.
Install the new filter by reaching from the bottom right side of the bike. Turn it until snug, and turn it one quarter turn more to make sure it is tight.
Fill the bike with oil through the oil fill hole. It should take about 2 1/2 quarts. Check the dipstick to make sure it is at an appropriate level.
Replace the oil fill cap. Turn the engine on, and run it for a few minutes. Turn the engine off and check the oil level again. Add oil if needed.
- Have an owner's manual available for regular maintenance of your motorcycle. Clean up oil spills by sprinkling kitty litter on the oil spill. Let the oil soak in. Sweep it up and discard.
Items you will need
- motor oil (SAE 5W 30 or 10W 30), 3 quarts
- Oil filter (K&N Oil Filter KN-303 or KN-303C)
- Oil drain pan
- Washer gasket for oil pan bolt
- Kitty litter, if needed for spills
- Ron Wright, Honda Shadow VT750, ACE, ACE Deluxe, Shadow Spirit Repair Manual 1998-2006, Clymer Manuals, 2006.
- KN Filters: Honda VT750C Shadow
- motorcycle image by Goran Bogicevic from Fotolia.com