How to Use a Jump Starter Packby Perry Kong
Learn how to use a jump starter pack and claim your independence the next time you get stuck with a dead battery. This convenient and portable device is available at most automotive supply and department stores. A jump starter pack provides a safe and reliable method for jump-starting a dead battery without the need for roadside assistance or a donor car. Proper polarity and safety precautions of traditional boosts still apply.
Ensure that your car is turned off and the transmission is in "Park" for automatics or in gear for manual transmissions with the parking brake on.
Raise the hood and secure it with the prop rod.
Place the jump starter pack on a flat surface where the cables will reach the battery. Ensure that there are no moving parts in the way and that the jump starter pack won't fall over.
Clamp the red (positive) jump starter cable to the red (positive) side of the battery. The battery top posts, side terminals, cables and clamps are distinctly identified in red with a "+" sign for positive. Negative is marked in black with a "-" sign.
Clamp the black (negative) jump starter cable to a clean, shiny, metal part in the engine compartment. The negative clamp must have good contact with bare metal for proper grounding. Do not clamp it on or near moving parts.
Turn the jump starter pack power switch to "On."
Start the car and leave the the engine running.
Shut off the power to the jump starter pack. Disconnect the black (negative) cable from its ground first, then the red (positive) cable from the battery.
Remove the jump starter pack and close the hood.
- Carry the jump starter pack in your car in case of emergency.
- Keep your jump starter pack fully charged when not in use.
- Jump starter packs are equipped for accessories that plug into the cigarette lighter.
- Consult the starter pack manufacturer instructions and warnings.
- Avoid loose hair and clothing when working near moving parts.
- Batteries are explosive. Do not connect both cables to the battery. Always use a metal part of the car for negative cable connections.
Items you will need
- Safety glasses
- Jump starter pack
- battery charger image by Albert Lozano from Fotolia.com