How to Replace a Body Control Moduleby Shayrgo Barazi
You have gone through all the diagnostic flow charts available to you and finally come to the conclusion that the body control module is at fault. Replacing it is generally straightforward, but if you don't follow the proper procedures, you can do more harm than good.
Disconnect the negative terminal on the battery with a wrench or ratchet.
Locate the body control module. Your factory service manual can tell you where to find it, but the module is typically behind the glove box or underneath the center console.
Remove the glove box or center console by removing the Phillips-head screws and bolts holding it in place.
Use a ratchet to pull out the bolts holding the body control module in place.
Push the connector clip in with your fingers, and pull the connector firmly. You will have to use quite a bit of force.
Install the new body control module, and insert the connector.
Reinstall the glove box or center console in reverse order of disassembly.
Reconnect the negative terminal of the battery.
- "Automotive Repair and Rebuilding;" Jeffrey J. Rehkopf; 2006
- Make sure that the body control module is at fault before replacing it. Go through all the diagnostic flow charts that you have available, because body control modules are very expensive.
- For really stubborn connectors that don't want to come out of the body control module, use adjustable pliers to grip the connector and pull it with enough force without breaking it.
Things You'll Need
- Ratchet and socket set
- Phillips-head screwdriver
- New body control module
- If you don't first disconnect the battery, you could cause a voltage spike while installing the new body control module, which could easily destroy it.
Shayrgo Barazi is a college graduate with a degree in automotive engineering technology (B.S.c.) from Ferris State University. He is a successful writer and has taken a college level technical writing course. He currently works for Time Wave Media writing automotive DIY articles. He has an intuition for technology and has the capacity to write, too.