How to Remove the Glove Box From a Volvo 850by Grace Mclain
The glove box on the Volvo 850 model cars is where most drivers keep the vehicle's important documents such as the registration and proof of insurance. The glove box is attached to the passenger-side dash by small screws and fastener arms. There may be a number of reasons you need to remove the glove box, including replacement of the glove box light or the cabin air filter. The glove box can be removed from the dash with just a few basic tools.
Open the glove box and let it hang by the two fastener arms on both sides of the glove box.
Remove all of the contents from the inside of the glove box and set them on the driver-side seat.
Slide the flat-head screwdriver under the base of the fastener arm and pry the fastener arm upward until the arm pops out of the base. Do this to both fastener arms. Let the glove box door hang down.
Remove the six Torx screws from the inner door frame of the glove box. There are two Torx screws on the top of the door frame and four Torx screws on the bottom of the door frame. Turn the Torx screws counterclockwise to remove.
Grab the glove box at the top of the glove box door frame and the glove box door. Pull the glove box straight out of the opening. To reinstall the glove box, just reverse the steps above.
- A mechanic's pick can also be used to pry the fastener arm base up and out of the base.
- Do not apply extreme force when prying the fastener out of the base or it could break.
Items you will need
- Small flat-head screwdriver
- Torx-head screwdriver
- "Volvo 850 Haynes Repair Manual for 1993 thru 1997"; John Haynes; 1998
- Volvospeed: Glovebox Light
- David McNew/Getty Images News/Getty Images