Installing a Starter Motor in a Chevrolet 454 Engineby Gregory Crews
The Chevrolet 454 engine is a powerful engine capable of horsepower and speed. This large engine needs a strong starter to engage the flywheel and turn the crankshaft. The 454 engine uses an electronic ignition that activates once the key is turned. A faulty starter can be replaced in thirty minutes, especially on the 454 where there is plenty of room to maneuver around in. The vehicle can be raised on jack stands if there is not enough room underneath. This is optional as there is plenty of clearance underneath the vehicle to pull the starter.
Open the hood to isolate the battery cables. Disconnect the positive and negative cable with a socket wrench.
Crawl under the car on the passenger side to locate the starter. The starter will have be bolted between the engine and the transmission.
Disconnect the wiring harness at the top, There will be two sets of wires to disconnect. Loosen the nut with a socket wrench and place the nut to the side. Pull the wires off the stud. Repeat with the remaining wiring.
Unbolt the starter with a socket wrench. There will be two bolts to unscrew. Pull the bolts away from the starter and pull the starter down and away from the car.
Push the new starter and start the bolts by hand. Tighten the bolts with the socket wrench once both the bolts are started.
Tighten the wiring harness to the stud on the top. Remove the nut and slide the wiring on to the stud. Tighten the nut over the wiring. Repeat with the second set of wiring. Ensure the correct wires go to the correct stud.
Connect the battery to the car. Ensure the positive cable is tightened to the positive terminal. The positive terminal is designated by a "+" symbol above the terminal. Connect the negative to the remaining terminal.
Start the car to ensure the starter is functioning correctly.
- Return the old starter to the automotive parts store. The automotive parts store charges a fee and returns the fee when the old starter is returned. This is called a "core" credit.
- Use caution working underneath the car or truck. Ensure the vehicle is parked on a flat and level surface and the back wheel is chocked.
- Always isolate the battery before performing maintenance on the electrical system.
Items you will need
- Socket wrench
- Socket set
- "Chevrolet Engine Overhaul Manual: John Haynes; 2010
- car engine image by itsallgood from Fotolia.com