How to Flush the Radiator in a Dodge Intrepidby Erin MartiseUpdated July 06, 2023
How to Flush the Radiator in a Dodge Intrepid. Keeping a Dodge Intrepid in top operating condition requires routine maintenance on the part of the owner. For instance, the radiator requires flushing every other year. Otherwise, debris can accumulate in the coolant system and cause an engine to overheat. Performing this maintenance doesn't require an auto mechanics license, just follow a few easy directions.
Things You Will Need:
- Distilled water
- Crescent wrench
- Drain container
1. Park the Dodge Intrepid on a level surface and set the parking brake
Park the Dodge Intrepid on a level surface and set the parking brake. Be sure that the underneath of the car is easily accessible.
2. Open the hood
Open the hood of the Dodge Intrepid and touch the radiator to verify its temperature. If it's hot or even warm, allow it to cool down before you attempt to open the radiator.
3. Turn the radiator cap one turn and step back
Turn the radiator cap one turn and step back. Wait a few seconds and then finish removing the radiator cap.
4. Place a drain container underneath the radiator
Place a drain container underneath the radiator directly below the drain plug or petcock valve. This container will need to have at least a two-gallon capacity to prevent overflow from the flush.
5. Remove the radiator plug from the underside
Remove the radiator plug from the underside of the Dodge Intrepid's radiator and allow the coolant to drain into the container. Once it finishes draining, pour the old coolant into a sealable container for proper disposal.
6. Shut the drain plug and pour distilled water into the radiator
Shut the drain plug and pour distilled water into the radiator until it is full. Open the drain plug and allow the distilled water to drain into the bucket. Repeat this process until the water is free of any debris when it exits the radiator drain plug.
7. Replace the drain plug back into its original position
Replace the drain plug back into its original position and dispose of the radiator flush. You may need to use a crescent wrench to replace the drain plug to ensure it is securely in place and that there is no leakage.
8. Pour fresh coolant into the radiator
Pour fresh coolant into the radiator. You will need about 10 quarts to fill the radiator in a Dodge Intrepid. Make sure to add coolant until it is within an inch of the top lip of the radiator.
9. Start the car with the radiator cap off
Start the car with the radiator cap off and allow the Dodge Intrepid to run until the cooling fan turns on twice. Then check the coolant level and add more if necessary. Finally, put the radiator cap back on and close the hood.
Tips and Warnings
Always dispose of the old coolant properly because it is extremely toxic to people and pets.
Opening a warm radiator can cause its pressurized contents to erupt and severely burn anyone close by.
Video showing how to do a radiator flush on a car:
Comments on this video:
- You have the most amazing energy, Jonny! Thank you for making these concise, yet still detailed & complete videos! As the others have said, you just cut out the filler!
- You make it so easy and simple, thanks for making this video it really helped me do my own flush. Other Youtubers talk to much nonsense and make it sound more complicated.