How Do I Change Antifreeze in a 97 Honda Accord?by Justin Moore
Maintaining the proper 50/50 ratio of coolant to water, and changing the coolant at the specified intervals, is key to the life of the Honda Accord's engine. The Accord uses an aluminum engine block that must be protected from overheating and corrosion to prevent engine failure. The engine coolant should be replaced on the 1997 Accord every three years or 45,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Changing the coolant in your Accord is a simple process that can save you a lot of money over paying a repair shop.
Draining the Antifreeze
Remove the radiator cap. Place a large drain pan under the radiator on the passenger's side of the Accord.
Loosen, but do not remove, the drain plug at the bottom of the radiator, allowing the coolant to flow into the drain pan.
Tighten the drain plug after coolant stops running out of the radiator.
Filling the Cooling System
Use a ratchet, extension and 12 mm socket to loosen, but not remove, the bleed bolt that is located on the top of the thermostat housing. The thermostat housing is located behind the valve cover on the passenger side.
Start filling the radiator with a 50/50 mixture of coolant and water. When coolant flows out of the bleeder bolt steadily without air bubbles, tighten the bleed bolt.
Fill the radiator to the base of the filler neck. With the radiator cap off, turn the heater to the hottest setting and start the engine. Run the engine until the temperature gauge is in its normal range and the fans come on twice.
Top off the radiator with the coolant mixture and maintain the level at the base of the filler neck. Fill the coolant reservoir to the "MAX" mark. Install the radiator cap.
- Wipe any spilled coolant off painted surfaces. Coolant will damage paint.
- Take the used coolant to a local auto-parts store for recycling.
- Allow the vehicle to cool completely before working on it. Never remove a radiator cap on a hot engine. The coolant can spray out and burn you.
- Remain clear of the radiator fans. These fans can start automatically for up to 15 minutes after the engine is shut off.
- Cats and dogs are attracted to the chemicals in coolant and if they drink any coolant it could be fatal. Always keep coolant stored in a sealed container.
Items you will need
- Large drain pan
- 12 mm socket
- New antifreeze
- "Chilton Honda Accord/Prelude 1996-00 Repair Manual"; Chilton Publishing Company; 2000
- radiator humor image by John Sfondilias from Fotolia.com