How to Use Unleaded Fuel in a Lexus RX300by Cassandra Tribe
The Lexus RX300 is a performance SUV. Unlike other SUVs, the 3.6 liter engine is specifically designed to run on a higher octane of unleaded gas. Regular unleaded gasoline can cause poor performance and lower the gas mileage you get from your Lexus RX300. To get the most out of your vehicle you need to know how to use unleaded fuel in your Lexus RX300. The different grades will produce different results.
Decide what type of driving you do mostly. Are you a city driver or occasional driver, or is more of your driving done at highway speeds or faster? The latter is considered "performance" driving.
Drive your Lexus RX300 until the gas gauge reads slightly above "E." You do not want to drive the car until it is out of gas nor do you want the fuel level to go so low that you bring debris from the bottom of the tank into the fuel line.
Fill your Lexus with unleaded gas. If you are mostly a city driver, use an 87 octane unleaded gas (this is usually a mid-range priced gas). If you are a performance driver you will want to use premium gas only. This is gas with an octane rating of 91 or better. Note: if you are planning on changing your driving for a few days (like going on a long trip) change your unleaded fuel type as well to get the best performance out of your Lexus.
- Change your fuel filter when you switch between different octanes of gas. It's easy on the Lexus RX300. Locate the filter (under the car by the rear driver's side tire). Use a flat head screwdriver to loosen the hose clamps and then pull the fuel hoses off the filter. Install the new filter by reversing these instructions.
- Do not use regular unleaded in a Lexus RX300 engine. A low octane fuel will prevent the engine from working as it is designed and can cause internal damage over time.
Items you will need
- 87 octane unleaded gasoline
- 91 octane unleaded gasoline (if needed)
- Fuel filter (if needed)
- Flat head screwdriver (if needed)
- The modern car at petrol filling station image by terex from Fotolia.com