How to Sell Used Cars in Kansas

by Keith Dooley

Kansas residents have several options when it comes time to sell their cars. These include trade-ins, car lot purchase and individual sales. Obviously trading a car in is the easiest way to get rid of your old car, but that doesn't mean that it is always the best. Selling on your own will typically get you more money, but it can take a while before you actually sell the vehicle. You will need to decide how much you want out of your car and how quickly you need it sold, to determine the best course of action.


Bring your car to a business like CarMax that purchases used cars without you having to buy on in return. There are several located throughout the state. Some independent used car lots will also purchase your car. They will check it out first for damage and see that the engine is working properly. They will give you a price that they are willing to pay for the car, and it is up to you to accept it or not. If you have not paid off the car yet, the car lot will take out that amount from your payment and send it to the loan company.


Use your car in a trade for a new car. All dealerships will purchase your car in this way. You will need to look up the value of your car before going, so that you know how much it is worth. This way the dealership will not be able to take advantage of you. Look the price up in a Kelly Blue Book under "trade-in value".


Set up an online sale for your car. There are several online websites that will allow you to register your car for sale. You will need to list the vehicle information such as make, model, color and year as well as condition and price. Adding pictures to the advertisement will help a lot in the sale. Example sites include and Sell My Car.


Advertise in local papers that have a wide distribution such as The Kansas City Star and The Topeka-Capital Journal. Include the same information that you would for the online ad. The Kansas City Star 1729 Grand Blvd. Kansas City, MO 64108 816-234-4097 The Topeka Capital-Journal 616 SE Jefferson Topeka, KS 66607 (785) 295-1111


Fill out a form TR-216 and send it to the Titles and Registrations Bureau care of the Department of Revenue. This will remove you from the vehicles record as owner. Go together to the Motor Vehicle Office and transfer the tag. Kansas Department of Revenue Division of Vehicles Topeka, Kansas 66626-0001


Call the loan company if you do not own the car outright and let them know of the sale. Let them know that there portion of the purchase price will be mailed to them. Give them the new owners name and address and request that the title be sent to the new owner.


Cash the check from the new owner at the bank. Do this with the new owner, to insure that the funds are there. Do not let the new owner leave with the car until you have your funds.

Items you will need

About the Author

Keith Dooley has a degree in outdoor education and sports management. He has worked as an assistant athletic director, head coach and assistant coach in various sports including football, softball and golf. Dooley has worked for various websites in the past, contributing instructional articles on a wide variety of topics.

More Articles

Photo Credits

  • photo_camera Kansas state contour with Capital City against blurred USA flag image by Stasys Eidiejus from