Ford 655A Specsby Tom Lutzenberger
Ford Motor Company has a long history of tractor production, with dozens of models that have been produced for a variety of construction and earth-moving purposes. Over the years Ford merged with New Holland in tractor production. The 655A backhoe-bucket loader (now made by Case New Holland) is a model that has been produced from 1985 to today, and performs in a number of different environments.
Engine and Transmission Details
The Ford 655A tractor runs on a 72 horsepower, 256-cubic-inch, four-cylinder diesel engine.
The 655A uses a torque converter transmission and is available in two- or four-wheel drive.
The tractor operates as a multiple-function machine, including as bucket loader and backhoe.
The backhoe fixed and not removable. The bucket assembly features an extendable dipper feature.
Weight of the tractor measures in between 8 and 8.5 tons.
The enclosed cab has a steel frame and 360 degree windows for operational visibility. The cabin is heated for cold weather.
The 655A has outboard stabilizer pads for the backhoe.
The wheel size on the tractor generally measure 16.9 inches to 28 inches for the front and between sizes 11L and 16SL for the rear.
- Tractor Data: Ford 655A
- Machinery Trader: 1988 Ford 655A
- Equipment Locator: Streacker Tractor Sales - Loader Backhoe Ford 655A 2WD
- Google Books: The Earthmover Encyclopedia (pg 110)
- Lumbermen Online: 1985 Ford 655A Backhoe
- Tradebit: Ford Tractor Workshop Service Repair Manual Book Catalog Model 9N 2N 8N 1939 - 1952 (see section on New Holland)