How to File a Pothole Damage Claim in Honolulu

by Linda Emma

With Honolulu's balmy breezes and pattering tropical rains, you might deduce that pothole problems do not occur in Honolulu. However, those rains can pelt and pummel the roadways and Honolulu ranks among the worst in the nation for urban roadway conditions. If you and your automobile have fallen into one of this city's potholes, report the pothole so the city can schedule the fix. Then, make a repair reimbursement claim to the city.

Record the pothole location, with the exact address.

Take a photograph of the pothole and any damage it caused your vehicle.

Obtain witness information and make a copy of a police report, if applicable.

Determine if your accident occurred on a state or city roadway. State roadways are excluded from claims to the city and include H-1, H-2, H-3, Kahekili, Kalaniana'ole, Pali, Likelike, Kamehameha, Nimitz, and Ala Moana.

Call (808) 523-4115 and request a claim form from the Department of Accounting and General Services.

Perform repairs, being sure to obtain receipts for all work done on your vehicle.

Fill out the form, including your contact information and the date, time and location of the incident. Include with your claim all report and receipt copies and send to DAGS, Kalanimoku Building, 1151 Punchbowl Street, Honolulu, HI 96813.

Wait up to three months while a decision is made on your claim.


  • check If your accident occurred on a State roadway, you can follow a similar procedure but request the claim form from the state of Hawaii at (808) 831-6714.

About the Author

Linda Emma is a long-standing writer and editor. She is also a digital marketing professional and published author with more than 20 years experience in media and business. She works as a content manager and professional writing tutor at a private New England college. She holds a bachelor's degree in journalism from Northeastern University.

More Articles