How to Clean the White Film Off Tinted Windowsby Kallie Johnson
Tinted windows can develop a thin, white film from many sources. The film can be caused from car-cleaning soap buildup, hard water, road salt and sand for snow maintenance and everyday air pollutants. When cleaning tinted windows, it's extremely important to follow all care instructions. Tinted windows are made with a thin sheet of mylar plastic which can easily tear, scratch or become ruined by using the wrong cleaning products and tools.
Dilute white vinegar. Use equal parts warm water and vinegar. Place the mixture in a spray bottle.
Spray the mixture on the tinted windows.
Wipe the windows clean with a soft cloth or rag.
Complete the process on all windows. A second treatment may be required to remove large amounts of white film.
Vinyl Window Cleaner
If the windows are vinyl, purchase a product that is specially designed for cleaning vinyl windows and vinyl car tops. These are made with a gentler formula than ordinary window cleaner. Two popular brands of vinyl window cleaner are RaggTopp and Bestop.
Spray the cleaner on the tinted windows.
Wet a cloth. Wipe the cleaner from the windows using the wet cloth.
Dry the windows with a dry, soft cloth or rag to prevent water stains.
Repeat the process on all of the windows.
Ammonia-Free Glass Window Cleaner
Spray the ammonia free glass window cleaner on the tinted windows. Many companies make ammonia-free glass cleaners, such as Windex Multi-Surface Vinegar, Biokleen Ammonia Free Glass Cleaner, and Armor All Auto Glass Cleaner.
Wipe the cleaner away using a soft, dry cloth or rag.
Repeat the process on all of the windows. A second treatment may be required for heavily soiled windows.
- Do not wash tinted windows until the tint is at least 30 days old. Do not use ammonia or harsh chemicals.
- Ammonia and harsh chemicals will ruin your tint. Tint can be easily torn, scratched or scraped, or develop air bubbles that then break open.
- Use only a soft cloth or rag to clean and dry your windows.
- Do not use paper towels, squeegees, sponges or other rough objects.
Items you will need
- Spray bottle
- Soft cloth
- Vinyl window cleaner
- Ammonia-free glass window cleaner
- car by the door image by Furan from Fotolia.com